There is as well sympathetic as parasympathetic innervation of the lungs.
- Parasympathetic: zone is the region OAA (vagus nerve).
- Sympathetic: the segment T1 – T5.
Functions = regulation of the smooth muscles in the lungs.
- Relaxes the smooth musculature in the lungs.
- Decreases the secretions.
- Widens the bronchi.
- The respiratory resistance decreases.
- Contracts the smooth muscles of the lungs.
- Increases the secretions.
- Narrows the bronchi.
- The respiratory resistance increases.
To know more on treating the autonomic system of the lungs: CLICK HERE